Apricots, apricots, apricots!
Just one of MANY clusters of apricots on my mom's tree. She had more apricots than she knew what to do with!
I'm so proud to call this sweet lady my mom! She is one of the most resourceful people I know and she is always willing to teach me fun, new things. This time around she taught me how to make jam! So fun! I thought I'd show you the process.
Once you've picked the apricots you wash them, cut them, and remove the pits.
Then you chop them up.
Any guesses as to what the huge bowl of white stuff is? Yep, sugar. SEVEN CUPS of it! Seems crazy since you combine it with only five cups of fruit!
Next, you bring the apricot/pectin mixture to a boil, add the sugar and bring it to a second boil.
Then remove it from the heat and skim off the foam.
Then ladle the apricot mixture into your canning jars.
Then you boil the jars in a water bath canner to seal them.
Next, you remove the jars from the water, dry them off and set them somewhere where the can sit undisturbed for 24 hours. (It's neat because one by one the cans pop indicating that the seal worked.)
Lastly, you spread it on some toast and enjoy the yumminess of a homemade treat!
Just one of MANY clusters of apricots on my mom's tree. She had more apricots than she knew what to do with!
I'm so proud to call this sweet lady my mom! She is one of the most resourceful people I know and she is always willing to teach me fun, new things. This time around she taught me how to make jam! So fun! I thought I'd show you the process.
Once you've picked the apricots you wash them, cut them, and remove the pits.
Then you chop them up.
Any guesses as to what the huge bowl of white stuff is? Yep, sugar. SEVEN CUPS of it! Seems crazy since you combine it with only five cups of fruit!
Next, you bring the apricot/pectin mixture to a boil, add the sugar and bring it to a second boil.
Then remove it from the heat and skim off the foam.
Then ladle the apricot mixture into your canning jars.
Then you boil the jars in a water bath canner to seal them.
Next, you remove the jars from the water, dry them off and set them somewhere where the can sit undisturbed for 24 hours. (It's neat because one by one the cans pop indicating that the seal worked.)Lastly, you spread it on some toast and enjoy the yumminess of a homemade treat!

3 comments:
Fun Aimee! I grew up with an apricot tree in my backyard, and my mom made a lot of apricot jam too! Love the lesson!
How much pectin do you put in it?? Do you know if the measurements/process is the same for all fruit??
Hi Wendy,
The measurements vary depending on the fruit you use. The box of pectin comes with a handy little chart that shows you the correct measurements. What type of fruit do you plan to can?
Post a Comment