Back in 1987 Daniel's grandma bought this town fabric for Daniel's cousin Ryan (he was 2 at the time!) She had planned to "sew it up" and make a playmat for him. Well, 23 years, 1 grandson and 6 great-grandsons later Grandma handed me the fabric and asked me to "sew it up" for her and give it to my boys.
What a fun project this was!
I had the fabric laid out for ironing when the boys walked in and saw it for the first time. They were in awe and couldn't wait to play with it. However, the first thing (literally!) that Aden said was, "Mommy, where's the church?" Well, there wasn't one so I immediately set to work at making a church out of one of the houses.
I bought this red quilted fabric for the backing (it looked nice and gave some padding to the mat) and I bought some royal blue quilt binding for the edges. I simply put the two layers together, framed it with the binding and stitched around the edges. I then stitched along all the roads to "quilt" the blanket together.

2 comments:
My mom actually "sewed up" this exact fabric for my brothers back in the 1980s :) And this very week it got pulled out for my kids after sitting in the attic for 20 years! A very fun playtime addition, we will have to add a church as well :)
Good job! I'm impressed. Definately beats the car mat we have from Home Depot.
Post a Comment