For Aden's third birthday (firetruck theme) Jonathan's gift to Aden was a firetruck t-shirt. I wanted to make that a tradition...the morning of Aden's birthday, he'd open Jonathan's gift and it would be a shirt that he could wear to his party that went with the party's theme. Well, as soon as Aden decided that he wanted a Tigger party for his birthday this year I started looking for a cute Tigger t-shirt. I looked at all the stores here and in several stores in Oahu and I looked online. I found lots of adult t-shirts and lots of little girl t-shirts (form fitting, capped sleeves, etc.) but as far as little boys there just wasn't much out there, surprisingly. After scouring the internet I finally found one BUT to have it shipped to Hawaii would have ended up costing me $30+...for a single t-shirt. Well, that wasn't going to happen so I decided to improvise...
I bought a couple of plain boys' t-shirts at Walmart for $3 each.
I bought a yard of this darling fabric for $4.
and I appliqued some of the darling fabric onto the cheap shirts. Very easy, very inexpensive, and pretty cute.

3 comments:
Nice job - and very resourceful! You are one dedicated mom! We have to work with what we have, don't we?
Gosh, shipping things to Hawaii sounds as expensive as shipping things to Germany! My parents sent us something once, sort of an oversized care-package, and for some reason it was almost $100. I was so appalled that they'd gone ahead and sent it anyhow!
They are adorable Aim! So here's a sewing question...did you fold under the edges and just iron them down and then do a zig zag stitch on top? Or something else? Also, did you put some kind of fusible web underneath the fabric to adhere it to the shirt? I am planning an applique project soon for a onesie for josie. Fun!
Very cute t-shirts. I bet the boys loved them.
Post a Comment