Daniel's school (Kauai Christian Academy) had their Fall Festival last Saturday. The Fall Festival is the school's biggest annual fundraiser. It was great fun...carnival-type games, bounce houses, a petting zoo, tractor hay rides, paint ball wars, a bake sale, a food tent, and a silent auction. Anyway, about a month before the festival Daniel sent a flier home with all the students asking parents to round up donations (gift certificates or donated items from businesses, etc) for the silent auction. So, since visiting a bunch of businesses with three kids in tow would not be easy or enjoyable I decided to make up some burp cloth sets and donate them instead! I went to Wal-Mart and bought a package of cloth diapers and set to work.
I made five sets. (Click on the picture to get a better view)Do you recognize any of the prints? These sets were made entirely from fabric scraps that I had left over from previous sewing projects.
Each set had two burp cloths and a coordinating wipes case. I had had the wipes cases since before Aden was born (I bought a dozen or so for making gifts and only used half of them...they had been up in his closet for four years! What a great way to clear them out!)
What the burp cloths looks like unfolded.When I decided to do this I had no idea whether it would be worth the effort. I had never been to a silent auction before and wasn't even sure if this was the type of thing that you'd find at a silent auction. Well, they were a big hit! Each set had multiple bids on it and altogether made at least $100 for the school. It was neat to be able to turn a $14 pack of cloth diapers into $100+ for the school. I can't wait to do it again next year!

3 comments:
I think that one of those sets matches Kelly's nursing cover... btw, i think I may end up copying your fabric scrap artwork that you made for Elizabeth's room. Avery has an empty wall, and I have lots of leftover material from all the stuff we made for her nursery. I'll send you pics if we end up doing it. :-)
wow, way to go! what a great way to use up your scraps! Living in the land of nonexistant fabric shops (and shockingly expensive online purchase options) I'm using clothes we wear out for "fabric". It's been fun trying to see what I can make with the bits I have! Have you see the Sew Mama Sew website and their "scrap busters" series? Lots of clever ideas there as well. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/
that's awesome! nice work girl
Post a Comment